Hey MOT fam,
Emily here and today I want to talk to you about some natural remedies for UTIs, yeast infections, and BV. First, let’s talk about some common symptoms associated with these–vaginal itchiness, vaginal irritation, burning with peeing, frequent peeing, feeling sensations of incomplete emptying, unusual colored discharge, foul smelling discharge, redness, etc. There are some urine-analysis tests that can be done to test you for these infections, but I often think that women don’t need a test to tell them what’s going on in their bodies…if you feel like something is off, it probably is. I would start with these remedies as soon as you notice symptoms. With that being said, UTIs can cause severe symptoms such as psychosis and hallucinations in older people, so if you notice those signs–please go to a hospital for treatment.
Daily habits as a prophylactic to prevent infections:
- Don’t use soap on your genitals. It is a self-cleaning machine, and soap can disrupt the natural flora in your vagina.
- Take an oral urinary tract probiotic daily (I like the one by Jarrow)
- Take cranberry + d mannose (can find at Sprouts or online)
If you suspect an infection:
- Up your cranberry + d mannose pills to 6-9 pills a day (3, 3x a day)
- Soak your vulva in a diluted apple cider vinegar sitz bath (about a tbsp of ACV) for 10-15 minutes a day
- Insert PLAIN greek yogurt into the vaginal canal (can use your finger or a syringe)
- Open a urinary tract probiotic pill, mix it with coconut oil, and then apply to vaginal canal 2x a day
- Apply an anti-yeast salve (I like the one from Earthley–also great for diaper rashes
- Drink pure cranberry juice throughout the day–I like to mix it with red raspberry tea, lime juice, and local honey to make an iced tea
Hope you enjoy all of these recommendations! Let me know if you have any questions.
These videos are meant to be educational and instructional. They are not able to diagnose or treat a specific issue and are definitely not a substitute for a professional evaluation.