This was one of the first videos I made but it has been coming up a lot lately. And with different types of clients. Pregnant, post partum, pelvic pain and even some of my male clients. There are a lot of different reasons our pelvic floor muscles can tighten up:
- Birth trauma and body adjusting to no longer having baby inside
- Pregnancy creating combination of body loosening yet some muscles trying to protect
- Some of us just hold tension in those muscles
- Pain creating inflammation and tension
- Imbalance of weakness and body trying to guard or protect alignment
And many other factors that might cause our amazing body to try and compensate in a way that causes some tightness. Watch the video to see how you might be able to address these issues.
Obviously this movement has been part of yoga traditions for a really long time. This is just my take on it to emphasize the opening aspect that happens as you increase the arch. This can also help stretch the lower abs, alleviate tension around the bladder, increase spinal movement and relax your back in addition to helping the pelvic floor.
These videos are meant to be educational and instructional. They are not able to diagnose or treat a specific issue and are definitely not a substitute for a professional evaluation.